Everything About CELPIP Exam Pattern
What is CELPIP?
CELPIP – CANADIAN ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY INDEX PROGRAM is an internationally accepted English language proficiency test taken by students and the workforce. CELPIP stands for Canadian English language Proficiency Index Program. It is recognized by a number of governments, professional organizations, universities, colleges, and employers as proof of English language proficiency.
CIC accepts CELPIP for Canada immigration in:
- Permanent residence
- Canadian citizenship
- Express Entry
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- Start-up visas
- Most Provincial Nominee Programs
Paragon testing agency acts as an adjunct for the University of British Columbia to assist the applicants with the English Language Proficiency tests. Both CELPIP-G and CELPIP- General LS are computerized tests. The former is conducted for a particular age group, mainly from 14 to 64 years of age. Whereas the latter is conducted for the minors mainly from 14 to 17 years of age. Every section of the test will take place on a computer.
The CELPIP test is offered in two versions:
- CELPIP- General Test
- CELPIP- General LS Test
The CELPIP- GENERAL TEST is administered for the people applying for permanent Residentship in Canada and the score thus acts as proof of the eligibility. For Canadian immigration, CELPIP General Test is the one to take.
The CELPIP General test assesses functional Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking skills.
The CELPIP- General LS Test assesses functional Listening and Speaking proficiency. The General LS Test only covers Listening and Speaking and will not be accepted as English Language Proficiency Score.
CELPIP Test Pattern
The total duration for the CEPIP exam is 3 hours. It consists of 4 modules, namely, Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing. The candidate is required to attempt each module.
- The listening section has six scored parts and one not marked
- The candidate gets 40-60 minutes to answer the questions for all the tasks.
- There are six parts to the listening component.
- Every clip is played only once.
|Question Type||No. of Question|
|Daily Life Conversation||5|
|Listening to Information||6|
|Listening to a news||5|
|Listening to a viewpoint||6|
- The reading section has four scored and one not marked
- The candidate gets 55-60 minutes to answer these questions.
- The module has sentence completion, text completion, WH questions, and multiple-choice questions.
|Question Type||No. of Questions|
|Correspondence which consists||11|
|Reading to apply a diagram||8|
|Reading for information||9|
Also Check: CELPIP Reading Sample Tests and Tips
- There are two scored tasks in the writing module. It does not include any task which is not marked.
- The time allotted for attempting the writing module is 53-60 minutes.
- Task 1 is writing an email and Task 2 is a response to a survey question.
Also Check: CELPIP Writing Sample Tests and Tips
- There are eight scored parts and one unmarked part in the speaking module.
- The duration of the speaking is 15-20 minutes.
- The response to each task is recorded automatically.
Also Check: CELPIP Speaking Sample Tests and Tips
The speaking module consists of 8 questions
- Giving advice
- Talking about a personal experience
- Describing a scene
- Making predictions
- Comparing and persuading
- Dealing with a difficult situation
- expressing opinions
- Describing an unusual situation
There are different marking criteria for each module.
- All CELPIP Reading and Listening questions are either multiple choice or in a similar format. The answers to the CELPIP reading and listening questions are evaluated in an integrated way: the response either being correct or incorrect. The unanswered questions are considered incorrect.
- Speaking is evaluated on the basis of Coherence, Lexical range, Listening ability, and task fulfillment.
- Writing is assessed on the basis of content, vocabulary, readability, and task fulfillment.
What is the CELPIP passing score?
CELPIP scoring gives you up to 12 points for each section. And CELPIP scoring is aligned to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB). This means each CELPIP level is equal to the CLB level, unlike IELTS.
Continuing with the same example of Express Entry through the Federal Skilled Worker program, this is how CELPIP scoring will give you CRS points.
The CELPIP passing score depends on the requirements of your Canada immigration application. For example, a minimum of 7 points in each category would be the CELPIP ‘passing score’ for Express Entry. Again, the maximum score you can get for your language is 24 points.
Band Score Descriptior
There is no pass or fail in this exam as all sections of CELPIP at given a CELPIP level, so candidates can measure their CELPIP test scores against the Canadian Language Benchmark. The score and its interpretation are given as follows:
|CELPIP Level||CLB Descriptor||CLB Level|
|12||The candidate should exhibit advanced proficiency in terms of community contexts and at work place.||12|
|11||The candidate should exhibit advanced proficiency in terms of community contexts and at work place.||11|
|10||The candidate should exhibit effective proficiency in terms of community contexts and at work place.||10|
|9||The candidate should exhibit effective proficiency in terms of community contexts and at work place.||9|
|8||The candidate should exhibit good proficiency in terms of community contexts and at workplace.||8|
|7||The candidate should exhibit adequate proficiency in terms of community contexts and at work place.||7|
|6||The candidate should exhibit the tact of developing proficiency in terms of community contexts and at workplace.||6|
|5||The candidate should exhibit the tact of acquiring proficiency in terms of community contexts and at workplace.||5|
|4||The candidate should exhibit an adequate proficiency for daily life activities.||4|
|3||The candidate should exhibit some proficiency in limited context.||3|
|M||The candidate is considered to be minimally proficient also having insufficient information to assess.||0,1,2|
|NA||The candidate is not administered however the test taker did not receive this test component.||/|
Also Check: CELPIP Listening Tips to get a higher score 2023